Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Spice of Life

I read somewhere, (The Glutenfree Goddess) that you should have a signature/secret ingredient.  I have chosen Ginger Zingiber officinal for mine.  So, I decided maybe I should grow some.  I bought some fresh ginger root from my local grocer about 2 weeks before Christmas.  I used one tuber, (actually ginger is neither a root, nor a tuber, but actually a rhizome or underground stem) and set the other one aside, hoping that the bump was an eye, and that I would get a sprout and Voila!


If you look closely at the bulbous form at the base of the sprout, you can see little pre-roots forming.  That is my signal to plant this soon.  I am going to keep it inside because it is a vigorous plant, which is a nice way of saying invasive, and also because I want to keep an eye on it.

Kew gardens says this plant is possibly native to India, and it also does best if the ground is wetter than dry.  YMMV.

No comments: